Family Law Attorneys in Bel Air, Maryland
Focused on the needs of your family
At Schlaich & Thompson, Chartered, our family law attorneys in Bel Air, Maryland provide effective family law representation with skill and sensitivity to get our clients through the events that redefine their families. We take our responsibility seriously because the outcome of your family legal matter shapes your future.
With our in-depth knowledge of family law, we explain how Maryland statutes and case law apply to your legal matter. Recognizing that every family situation is different, we focus on the particular needs of your case. We bring 49 combined years of experience to help clients decide on an appropriate strategy, whether that is settlement or trial. When a successful settlement cannot be negotiated, we thoroughly prepare the case for trial.
Our family law attorneys offer sound advice to clients in Bel Air, MD in the following areas:
- Divorce — Dissolution of a marriage occurs when a marriage is legally terminated and the court divides assets and debts, provides for minor children and deals with any maintenance issues. Dissolution actions can be uncontested or contested.
- Legal separation — If you are separated but not yet divorced, we can help you negotiate an agreement out of court or go to court to achieve a temporary order regarding your property, your child and financial support.
- Property division — We help divorcing parties come to an agreement on how marital property will be distributed. When agreements cannot be reached, we litigate to protect your interests.
- Child custody and visitation — We negotiate parenting and visitation agreements in the best interest of your children, and when an agreement cannot be reached, we advocate for you in court to achieve your goals.
- Child support — This is determined by formulas set by the state of Maryland. We ensure the court has accurate information to reach a fair decision on your behalf.
- Modifications — These are changes made to final agreements or court orders relating to child custody, visitation and support when there has been a substantial change in circumstances.
- Adoption — We assist clients seeking private adoptions, as well as stepparent and grandparent or other family member adoptions, and make sure the process moves efficiently.
- Guardianships — We have extensive experience in people and property guardianships.
- Paternity actions — These are actions filed to assist a parent in acknowledging and protecting important visitation, custody and support rights.
- Spousal support or alimony — If divorcing parties cannot agree in writing to spousal support or alimony, then the court awards it when it is warranted. We help you receive the most favorable outcome.
- Grandparent or third-party cases and rights — If you are a grandparent and want visitation, custody or adoption rights, we help you understand the laws governing grandparents’ rights, the legal process you have to undertake and your legal options.
- Domestic violence — If you have had allegations of domestic violence filed against you in criminal proceedings or in a protective order proceeding, a negative outcome can affect your divorce or custody case as well as the rest of your life. We work to minimize any such impact. If you have been the victim of domestic violence, we discuss your options and advocate for your protection.
Bel Air family law attorneys who care about you and your family
For experienced representation on your family law matters, call Schlaich & Thompson, Chartered at 443-371-3514 or contact us online to schedule an appointment.